Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Marching thru' Georgia- via Tokyo???


It's been an age since I've updated this blog. But a while ago I realized that I was working on so many different projects at the same time, so that nothing was being actually completed!

As a result, I've decided to spend the summer months working on finishing a couple of regiments of Napoleonic French infantry and cavalry that have been looking reproachfully down upon me from the bookcase in a their half-finished state for months now.

On top of that, we've had a few disturbing earthquakes here in Tokyo these past few weeks, a reminder that in this country I've got to get my painted units safely based and into a sturdy cabinet rather than perched precariously on the bookcase shelves as they are at present!

But I have been steadily re-basing the ACW collection at the same time as I have been basing my French, so when the
Crapauds are finished and photographed, they will soon be followed by some pictures of my Federals.

In the meantime, here is a YouTube video featuring a Japanese tune dating from the end of WW1- but with an ACW slant!

Marching Through Georgia by Henry Clay Work was popular with the Japanese army during the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05, and was later made into a popular song here, but with lyrics telling about a country girl visiting Tokyo for the first time.

A great video of a Tokyo now long gone, but some of the landmarks seen in the picture can still be seen today, despite earthquakes, bombs, and years of ceaseless development.

3 comments:

legatus hedlius said...

What a fantstic video! A Lost World for sure!

Andrea said...

Hi there,
I was led to your blog in my search for more information about the Holloway's Pills & Ointments advertisement that you have posted on the side of your site. So far, I've only been able to find this image placed on websites without any contextual information. Do you happen to know where and when the ad was published? Or at least where?
I'd be grateful for any info that you can share!!
Thanks,
Andrea Korda
akorda@umail.ucsb.edu

Andrea said...

Hi there- I haven't heard from you, so I hope you don't mind my trying again. I'd still be interested to hear any information that could help in locating where & when that Holloway's Pills advertisement was published. Any thoughts??
I've discussed the ad in my doctoral dissertation b/c I find it so interesting- & am now desperately looking for its source!!
Thanks again, in advance, for your help,
Andrea Korda
Ph.D. Candidate
Dept. of the History of Art & Architecture
University of California, Santa Barbara
akorda@umail.ucsb.edu